I admit, it can be challenging to find the time with work and family, but let me give you some reasons why you need to find the time:
1. You can volunteer with your family. You spend quality time together while accomplishing something great.
2. Think about volunteering at a nursing home. Many of the elderly never have visitors. Just an hour will brighten their day and yours.
3. Volunteer at your local food bank. This is probably where I volunteer the most. It's definitely hard labor, but I enjoy talking to the other volunteers, and it makes me grateful that I have food on the table. I just need to think about little kids that don't have enough to eat on the weekends to inspire me to fill up their food backpacks so they do.
4. Clean your local park/river/street. Beauty is everywhere. You have the power to make things even more beautiful while helping the earth. Surely a tree cannot tear a plastic bag off itself.
5. Have you ever been to a local low-income child care? Want to see joy? It's right there. Children surround you with no worries, and their laughter is contagious. Your tense shoulders will already start relaxing once volunteering a few hours.
I'm encouraging volunteering so immensely, because if we want to see change, we must be part of the change. Ghandi was a smart man! When friends and family see you out there serving the food line at the shelter or visiting the sick, they will want to join you. Giving back makes you realize how fortunate you are, and in return, your daily stresses don't seem all that bad anymore.